For more than four decades, we have collaborated closely with manufacturers, engineers, and farmers to design and provide technology that meets the demands of the industry and delivers tangible efficiencies in the field. We are thrilled to announce the launch of our latest innovation – a remote load cell monitoring system that caters to the needs of farmers who wish to track the weight of the bin from afar, even when they are not within the proximity of the operating system.
What is remote load cell monitoring?
Remote load cell monitoring is a system that allows farmers to monitor the weight of their crops, livestock, or equipment from a distance using load cells and wireless technology. Load cells are devices that convert a physical force or weight into an electrical signal, which can be transmitted wirelessly to a remote monitoring system, such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Here’s how our new remote load cell monitoring system works:
1. Our load cells are often installed beneath or adjacent to the equipment or structure that needs to be weighed, such as a grain bin or livestock scale.
2. The load cells usually communicate with our rate controller using CanBus but we have also connected a wireless transmitter that sends the weight data to our remote monitoring system application.
3. The remote monitoring system displays the weight data in real-time, allowing the farmer to track the weight of their crops, livestock, or equipment without having to physically be present. In the latest version of the APP, it is also possible to TARE the bin or weighbridge remotely.
4. The system can also be set up to send alerts if the weight exceeds a certain threshold. This can be very helpful where fill times are long and you would like the system to automatically stop.
How does this help farmers?
A remote load cell monitoring system can help farmers save time and improve their operations by allowing them to remotely monitor anything being weighed using their load cell system.
Remote load cell monitoring can be a valuable tool for farmers in several ways:
1. Enable easy and safe calibration of seeders: Load cells can be fitted to seeders enabling farmers to not only fill accurately but also calibrate the drill – without leaving the cab! Simply start the calibration process and wait until 5% or more of the load has been dispensed, next time you stop for longer than 5 seconds, press ‘finish calibration’. The new calibration is displayed and you are then able to accept or reject the calibration. Presto – calibration without leaving the cab.
2. Prevent overloading of farm vehicles: Load cells can also be installed on farm vehicles, such as trucks and trailers, to monitor the weight of the load being transported. This helps farmers avoid overloading their vehicles, which can cause damage to roads and bridges and result in fines. By monitoring the weight of their loads remotely, farmers can ensure they are within legal weight limits during the load/fill process and avoid costly penalties.
3. Improved safety: By monitoring the weight of farm equipment and vehicles remotely, farmers can ensure that they are operating within safe limits. Overloading equipment or vehicles can cause accidents, which can be dangerous and costly. Remote load cell monitoring can help farmers avoid these risks and keep their workers and equipment safe.
Overall, remote load cell monitoring can help farmers optimise their operations, increase efficiency, and reduce costs, while also improving safety and environmental sustainability.
Does the system require software updates?
When developing this new product, we focused on what farmers truly want: simplicity. With this in mind, we have designed the system to contain one line of numbers for each BIN or set of load cells being monitored, which means updates are not required for this set-and-forget app!
What products is it compatible with?
It is designed to be used exclusively with the SmartAG Systems Load Cell interface. However, its versatile design allows it to be fitted to many other load cell summation products, providing that the system can communicate on a RS 232 serial port.
Want to learn more?
We’re here to help you achieve real-time efficiencies in the field. Get in touch with our friendly and knowledgeable team to find out more.